Monday, January 13, 2014

Ex post MLA

From Vintage Advertisements
Despite the tidings in my previous post, I did not get to Chicago. Weather was one reason -- the flight I was scheduled to fly on to Chicago on Thursday was canceled -- but more seriously my podiatrist urged me on Wednesday morning not to go to Chicago. The winter weather (and we are only in January!) affected not only airline schedules. I had an awful case of chilblains. (In case you are unfamiliar with that word, think back on 19th-century novels you may have read.) At Christmas I had visited a friend in Hamilton, in central New York, where the weather was Minnesota-like. She and I stood outside for an hour on Christmas Eve listening to carolers. In addition, her house was extremely cold. It's a huge place, and I can see that she wants to save on fuel bills.

The long and short of it, however, is that the podiatrist told me to keep my feet warm. On Thursday, instead of spending hours at Newark airport waiting to board a flight, I was in bed with my feet under the electric blanket. The vintage illustration accurately portrays the pain one experiences with chilblains.

I emailed my paper to the organizer of the panel, Na'ama Rokem. So far I have not heard who read it at the session, but I look forward to hearing her report.

No comments: